Sunday, September 11, 2011

English

If you want to travel, you need English. The level of penetration of English into various parts of the world continues to impress me. Granted, I have been spending my time in heavily touristed areas, but even in the less touristed areas, such as the Asian side of Istanbul, I found the service industry people spoke some English. Other travelers I met all spoke English with a reasonably high level of proficiency (with the notable exception of the Spaniards, not surprised by that), and local young people throughout Eastern Europe all had a basic grasp of the language.

When you hear a guy holding a Turkish-language city guide speaking English to a guy holding an Arabic-language city guide, you know English has really become the world's lingua franca.

No comments:

Post a Comment