Thursday, September 1, 2011

L'viv




Unfortunately, I was only able to visit one place in Ukraine, the great city of L'viv, but at least I made it to that one place. Traveling in Ukraine has its difficulties: you can't read the Cyrillic alphabet and Ukraine had the lowest level of English language penetration of any place I visited on my trip. However, if you can overcome the communication difficulties, the rewards are many: it's extremely cheap, the sights and people are beautiful, and the nightlife (at least according to what I heard) is incredible. And really, the communication problems just add to the adventure.

At any rate, L'viv is cheap and has some unique foods. I paid about $2 for a potato pizza at a restaurant, which was large and filled me up. Potato pizza, as you can imagine, replace the bread part of a pizza with potato. It's not bad. I also ate snack bars made of sunflower seeds and some type of oil (sunflower oil?) holding them together. Not the tastiest snack, but again, it gets the job done.

As for the city, never have I seen so many statues...in plazas, and parks, on the side of buildings, at the top of buildings, underneath balconies, everywhere. L'viv is a very beautiful town, in a kind of rundown sort of way way. Not too rundown, but the city could use a bit of a facelift, or maybe remove that grungy outer layer. Nah, never mind. It's perfect the way it is.







No comments:

Post a Comment