Tuesday, December 18, 2007

and a little more

Thinking about blogs though, I guess a big reason I didn´t want to do one earlier was for fear that it would be boring since it´s bound to be longer and contain more mundane topics than the letters and emails i sent out before...those were intended to be concentrated information that would be entertaining and readable. With this format though, my readers will be able to determine their own level of involvement since I won´t be sending them anything at all.

So, here I am in the hostel using the free computer. Been in this place for a few days now. Usually don´t stay in hostels where I´ll have to share a room with strangers anymore, but this town tends to be a bit expensive so I´m doing it. Generally, I don´t sleep well with other people around, but this place has been different. I think partially because it´s nice and cold here...always sleep better in the cold...something about being warm in the cold... Given how far south we are though, it´s really not too cold...highs of about 55 during the day. I had read that there was some sort of ozone layer problem down here that causes sunburns easily; I´ve found that to be true as I really haven´t been outside that much today but still have a red face even with complete cloud cover. Incidentally, Dad if you´re reading this I think I´m ready for that propecia if you can get some...my fair seems to be thinning at the cyclic rate these days. As for the hostel...you certainly hear quite a few languages being bandied about. In fact, I´ve yet to encounter an American in this place. I´m sure there are Americans about...I believe most of my fellow countrymen tend to inhabit more posh places to stay than the bare-bones $12 a night hostel.

As for yesterday, I went hiking up toward a glacier. I wasn´t really sure what to expect as for the hike up there. The glacier is located about 1000 meters above sea level up on a mountain. I had heard there was a chairlift that would take you up there...but it only took me up to about 600 meters above sea level. I hiked up another 200 meters or so I would guess before turning around due to the ice and snow coverage. My sneakers just weren´t suitable to continue heading up. There were some people up there though. I had a nice time sliding on my back headfirst down the mountain. What I wouldn´t have given for some skis, but it was pretty fun sliding down on my brand new gortex jacket. With the walk out to the mountain and back, the hike ended up taking the whole day...which was good since I needed the exercise for sure. I certainly do get more aches and pains afterward these days. Tendinitis in both Achilles, hips aching (these achy hips are a new thing), ingrown toenails throbbing as my toes bang against the ends of the shoes as I was walking down hill. But I´m fine today.

No comments:

Post a Comment