Monday, December 24, 2007

Perito Moreno


The Perito Moreno Glacier is indeed quite an impressive sight. Glad I took the 5 hour bus ride to view it for an hour. It is about 5km wide, 15km long, and 40m high. I had expected a glacier to be very smooth on top but it was quite jagged, not sure how anyone can take a walk on it, but they do have walks you can do on the glacier. The glacier moves about 2m a day, which is much more than I though glaciers moved...but it does not gain or lose ground as the ice that accumulates in the mountains evenly replaces the ice that the glacier loses daily to calving. Once again, the sounds and sights of the ice falling were impressive...but did not get to see any large scale ice shedding from the glacier. PM is one of the few glaciers around that is not receding, which was nice to hear....

After the glacier I ended up riding to the next town with the tour guide. I asked her afterward the tour about bus schedules and she told me there were no more buses that day and that since I was headed the same way she and her husband were I would just have to ride with them. I was like...¨ok...sure...great!¨ Worked out well and got down there to Rio Gallegos in time to catch a night bus northwards to Comodoro Rivadavia where I spent Xmas day. Conversation in the car was not all I could have hoped for but can´t complain. At the end I thanked them and mentioned that if they ever needed anything in the STates or came to visit to let me know and she responded that she was too scared to visit the States after what happened to the Twin Towers. I reckon therein lies the reason they live in such an out of the way part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment